Wednesday, July 7, 2010

NEW POST: He's 104


I thought we’d go in a little different direction with this one. You may recall the name Satchel Paige. Today is his 104th birthday, but it doesn’t much matter. He’s a legend. He played professional baseball for 40 years. He finally quit when he was 60, after pitching 3 shut-out innings for the Kansas City Athletics.

I was reading about him in USA Today today and just loved a lot of his musings and quotes, so I thought I’d share them with you.

“Don’t look back. Something might be catching up with you.”

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

“We don’t stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.”

“Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man that got to be common.”

“Don’t pray when it rains, if you don’t pray when the sun shines.”

“You win a few, you lose a few. Some get rained out. But you got to dress for all of them.”

“I ain’t ever had a job, I just always played baseball.”

“Mother always told me, if you tell a lie, always rehearse it. If it don’t sound good to you, it won’t sound good to no one else.”

Sage advice for us all – except the lie part – but there sure is value in practicing your lines.

Good stuff to think about as you ponder making it to 104 too.

No comments:

Post a Comment